High-quality hand-made berimbau lacquer coating with Varnished Finish.
The berimbau is a single-string percussion instrument, a musical bow. Originally from Africa, it was eventually incorporated into the practice of the Afro-Brazilian martial art capoeira. The berimbau (the soul of capoeira) leads the capoeiristas movement in the roda. The faster it is playing the faster the capoeiristas are moving in the game.
The berimbau consists of a wooden bow (called verga). We use a unique tree that grows in Israel. It has good flexibility, as well as lighter weight than the traditional Brazilian biriba wood, but has the same quality sound. This makes our products lighter and so easier and more comfortable to play for a longer period of time.
Size of the verga is about 1 to 1.5 meters long, with a steel string (arame). In our berimbaus, we use a brand new string and not like other manufacturers who usually pull it from the inside of an automobile tire. The use of a brand new arame gives our berimbau a clearer sound. The arame is tightly strung and secured from one end of the verga to the other. And then the most important part of the berimbau is the cabaça (gourd-like fruit). We open, dry and clean it from the inside. We secure it to the lower portion of the berimbau, and it is used to amplify and resonate the sound.
Each piece is unique and hand-made. This means the sound of each instrument has slight differences from one to the other. But nevertheless, all of them looks and sounds beautiful!
We allow our customers to choose from several lacquer colors. You can choose your color from the options in the ordering section.
- Clear – natural
- Pine – bright
- Cherry red – Default color
- Venga – black
If you will not specify your color. We will cover it with Cherry red. It will have a varnished finish, for great looks.
If you plan on painting on your berimbau, Please write it to us in the order message and we will not cover it with lacquer. You’ll get it with clean wood, so it will be easy for you to paint it as you wish.
There are 3 different sizes for the berimbau:
- Adults size: 130-150 cm (Viola, Médio & Gunga available)
- Teens size: 100-130 cm (Viola & Médio available)
- Kids size: 80-100 cm (Only one size of the cabaça because of its small size)
Berimbaus split into three categories:
- Gunga: lowest tone
- Médio: medium tone
- Viola: highest tone
What do you get in the package?
- Berimbau of your choice
- Caxixi (Shaker)
- Baqueta (wooden stick)
- Pedra (stone)
- We are not responsible for any tax payment you need to pay in your country when receiving the product. Please check it before buying.
- WARNING: Non-contractual photos. Every manufactured instrument is unique! However, we guarantee you an impeccable quality with a visual aspect as close as possible to the pictures.
- The cabaça is fragile. So Please make sure to keep it safe and don’t drop it.
- When the berimbau isn’t in use, it is advised to release the arame.