High-quality hand-made berimbau painted in black lacquer with a varnished finish.
The black berimbau is a single-string percussion instrument, a musical bow. Originally from Africa, it was eventually incorporated into the practice of the Afro-Brazilian martial art capoeira. The berimbau (the soul of capoeira) leads the capoeiristas movement in the roda. The faster it is playing the faster the capoeiristas are moving in the game.
The berimbau consists of a wooden bow (called verga). We use a unique tree that grows in Israel. It has good flexibility, as well as lighter weight than the traditional Brazilian biriba wood, but has the same quality sound. This makes our products lighter and so easier and more comfortable to play for a longer period of time.
Size of the verga is about 1 to 1.5 meters long, with a steel string (arame). In our berimbaus, we use a brand new string and not like other manufacturers who usually pull it from the inside of an automobile tire. This gives our berimbau a clearer sound. The arame is tightly strung and secured from one end of the verga to the other. And then the most important part of the berimbau is the cabaça (gourd-like fruit). We open, dry and clean it from the inside. We secure it to the lower portion of the berimbau, and it is used to amplify and resonate the sound.
Each black berimbau is unique and hand-made. This means the sound of each piece has slight differences from one instrument to another. But nevertheless, all of them looks and sounds beautiful!
There are 3 different sizes for the black berimbau:
- Adults size: 130-150 cm (Viola, Médio & Gunga available)
- Teens size: 100-130 cm (Viola & Médio available)
- Kids size: 80-100 cm (Only one size of the cabaça available, because of its small size)
Berimbaus split into three categories:
- Gunga: lowest tone
- Médio: medium tone
- Viola: highest tone
What do you get in the package?
- Black Berimbau of your choice
- Caxixi (Shaker)
- Baqueta (wooden stick)
- Pedra (stone)
- We are not responsible for any tax payment you need to pay in your country when receiving the product. Please check it before buying.
- WARNING: Non-contractual photos. Every manufactured instrument is unique! However, we guarantee you an impeccable quality with a visual aspect as close as possible to the pictures.
- The cabaça is fragile. So Please make sure to keep it safe and don’t drop it.
- When the berimbau isn’t in use, it is advised to release the arame.